- unknown mechanism of action
- A derivative of the substituted imidazole compounds;
- Good oral/rectal absorption means that oral/supp. preps can often be used instead of IV.
- appears in cerebrospinal fluid, saliva and breast milk in concentrations similar to those found in plasma.
- plasma clearance of metronidazole is decreased in patients with decreased liver function
- The elimination half-life, measured during the first three days of life, appears to be inversely related to gestational age. In infants whose gestational ages were between 28 and 40 weeks, the corresponding elimination half-lives ranged from 109 to 22.5 hours.
- Specific bactericidal activity against important obligate anaerobes:
- Gram +ve anaerobes eg. Clostridium
- anaerobic protozoa eg. Trich. vag., Giargia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica;
- oral 200-400mg tds
- iv 500mg tds
- usually well tolerated
- seizures and peripheral neuropathy have been reported, particularly after high dosing levels
metronidazole.txt · Last modified: 2011/08/25 11:14 by 127.0.0.1